Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Make it good / Sanctification through motherhood part V

“Food is essential to life.  Therefore, make it good.”  -Truett Cathy (as seen on the walls at Chick-fil-a)

Reading this quote on Chick-fil-a’s walls always brings a smile to my face.  I mean, really?  Good quotes on fast food restaurant’s exterior?  But, we all know chick-fil-a isn’t an ordinary fast food place.  It’s magic.  And that smile from reading that quote was one of my 2 smiles shown during my lunch there with friends on tuesday.  The rest of my emotions, you ask?  Mostly an open-mouthed gape as my child screamed at everything.  With an occasional “air smack.”  (Note: air smacks are abi’s form of hitting when she is upset, doesn’t know how to express her frustration, but doesn’t want to get in trouble for hitting.)  Screamed when she couldn’t hold her milk on her own (since she was now covered in it, as was I).  Screams for having to leave the play time area because there were too many big kids.  Screams for having to eat her fruit and chicken (the fact that lunch didn’t just consist of chocolate milk was shocking to her!).  Oh, this child teaches me things.  How patience is necessary.  How I, like her precious heart, often fight and scream clinging to our own agenda, not realizing that what is being offered to us is both better for us and contributes to others’ happiness.  What a humbling privilege to be taught by your child.  Isn’t God clever?

Pics from a recent date with tomato basil soup:

IMG_2397

IMG_2402 

IMG_2400

Oh, and my other smile?  My friend had brought kitchen shears to cut up our girl’s food.  Not thinking, I walked right through the middle of the restaurant, on a mission to get more napkins, with them held up in my hand.  I walked right past a poor woman who I think had a mild panic attack, and a police officer who gave me a quick look-over and realized that I was probably harmless.

3 comments:

Clint and Lauren Brock said...

hahaha this post is awesome. food is good, isn't it? especially chick fil a! :) love the adorable soup pics. thanks for sharing :)

Jen W. said...

Great post Angela. We love Chick-Fil-A as well. They are one of the most kid-friendly restaurants for sure. Can't believe how much Abi is growing. Hopefully we can meet her sooner than later!

The Shepard Girls said...

Sanctification through motherhood- yes I know this well! Awesome post! So, so many lessons God can teach you through a one year old. Love the scissors/police officer story!